During this term we will focus on the following aspects of mathematics:
Number: Place value
- Reading, writing, ordering and comparing numbers up to 10 000 000 and determining the value of each digit.
- Rounding any whole number to a required degree of accuracy.
- Using negative numbers in context, and calculating intervals across zero.
- Solving number and practical problems that involve all of the above.
Number: Addion, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division
- Solving addition and subtraction multi step problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why.
- Multiplying multi-digit number up to 4 digits by a 2 digit number using the formal written method of long multiplication.
- Dividing numbers up to 4 digits by a 2 digit whole number using the formal written method of long division, and interpret remainders as whole number remainders, fractions or by rounding as appropriate for the context.
- Dividing numbers up to 4 digits by a 2 digit number using the formal written method of short division, interpreting remainders according to context.
- Performing mental calculations, including with mixed operations and large numbers.
- Identifying common factors, common multiples and prime numbers.
- Using their knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the four operations.
- Solving problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Using common factors to simplify fractions; using common multiples to express fractions in the same denomination.
- Comparing and ordering fractions, including fractions > 1
- Generating and describing linear number sequences (with fractions)
- Adding and subtracting fractions with different denominations and mixed numbers, using the concept of equivalent fractions.
- Multiplying simple pairs of proper fractions, writing the answer in its simplest form.]
- Dividing proper fractions by whole numbers.
- Associating a fraction with division and calculate decimal fraction equivalents.
- Recalling and using equivalences between simple fractions, decimals and percentages, including in different contexts.
Geometry: Position and Direction
- Describe positions on the full coordinate grid (all four quadrants).
- Draw and translate simple shapes on the coordinate plane, and reflect them in the axes.
Year 6 PE
Our PE topics this term are;
PE Kit: outdoor kit with navy blue jogging bottoms/shorts, white T-shirt, socks and trainers; indoor kit with white T-shirt, blue shorts, socks and pumps.
PE kit will remain in school and sent home at the end of term.
Reading - sent home on Monday and is to be returned on Friday.
English and Maths - sent home on Friday and is due back on Wednesday.
Spelling and arithmetic tests on Friday